Forward was established in March of 2002 - we have extensive
experience in the field of architecture, design and drafting:
- 20years of architectural drafting in CAD / CADD.
- 15 years of residential design experience.
- Over 14years specializing in sustainable residential
design, including straw bale construction.
- Hands-on construction and workshop experience. Teach
on-going sustainable design courses, led numerous straw
bale workshops, as well as organized workshops for others.
- Comprehensive experience in computers, including AutoCAD,
Sketch Up, FormZ, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, web design and
- Principal designer, Lisa Swan,
has a Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) from the Illinois
Institute of Technology and a MBA from Norwich University.
- Active participation in local organizations, including
the California Straw Building Association.
- Selected as a distinguished green business by Greenopia
and Green America.
- We were the first to permit staw bale homes in many
areas, including Imperial County, Pomona, Pinyon Crest
and other areas of San Diego, Los Angeles, and Southern
Design Forward is located in Pasadena, CA, however we have
worked in the following jurisdictions:
(environmental impact report, acquired permits)
Wells - Anza Borrego Desert
Angeles County, California (acquired permits,
Very High Fire Hazard Severity Zones, fire department
review, community standards)
California - unincorporated area
- unincorporated area
of Los Angeles (acquired
of South Pasadena, California (Design Review Board and
of Pasadena, California (variance, conditional use permit,
historical review, acquired permits)
of La Canada-Flintridge, California (high fire zone)
of Monrovia, California (acquired permits)
of Pomona, California (acquired permits)
of San Gabriel, California
of Glendale, California
of Burbank, California
of Inglewood, California
Diego County, California (acquired permits)
Santa Fe, California (Design Review)
of San Diego, California
of Carlsbad, California
of Encinitas, California
County (acquired permits)
of Las Vegas, Nevada
Find out more about Design Forward's sustainable
projects and residential design